Monday, June 4, 2012

My Time in Tangier--

Hey, everyone!  So I’ve returned from a delightful trip this past weekend—it was just me and the guys, and boy was it a good time!  It started off kind of rough because I was supposed to meet them at the Rabat train station bright and early Saturday morning, only the taxi driver took me to the Rabat AGDAL station (closer to my house) which I didn’t even know existed until it was too late and I missed the train they were on.  Ha!  So I had to wait 2 hours to catch the next one, where I met up with them in Assilah and we kept heading straight to Tangier.  I was kind of hoping to explore Assilah too but perhaps sometime in the future I can make it back, especially as this coastal town apparently is the favorite of some of the guys and all they can talk about is how wonderful it is and how it’s too bad I missed it.  I have a feeling I’m never going to hear the end of it…

DSCN0526Assilah aside, there was still a lot to fit into the day—we wanted to stop by the American Legation Museum because, fun fact, Morocco was the first nation to recognize the United States of America as an independent country.  So, the Tangier American Legation became the first American public property outside of the U.S., and Josh and I, being the Americans in the group, were particularly geeked to check out this sight only to find out that the museum is closed on weekends.  Yes, because that makes a lot of sense…

DSCN0533So the guys and I moved on, checking out Tangier’s Kesbah ocean view and museum (I highly recommend, although it’s best if you have the all-knowledgeable Phillip for a tour guide), grabbing lunch, and finally we poked our heads into the Church of Saint Andrew, built upon land donated by King Hassan I of Morocco to Britain in 1880, before we haggled out a good Grande taxi price that would get us into the town of Tetouan, stopping at Hercules Cave on the way.

DSCN0558

For some gorgeous pictures and informational subtitles, click on any of the pictures of go to my Pictures and Video page.  Also, stick around for my posts about Tetouan and Chefschaouen next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share what you think!